Charges will not be laid against Mark Webber following the Australian driver's cycling crash last week, Tasmanian police have confirmed.

Charges will not be laid against Mark Webber following the Australian driver's cycling crash last week, Tasmanian police have confirmed.

Inspector Glen Woolley was quoted by a local newspaper on Thursday as suggesting either the formula one driver, or the driver of the four-wheel drive vehicle that struck his mountain bike head-on, could be charged with a traffic offence and summoned to court.

But in a subsequent statement, Tasmania Police said that while an investigation into the crash is ongoing, charges will not be laid.

Red Bull driver Webber, 32, is still recovering from surgery on the two broken bones in his right leg in a Hobart hospital, but is targeting a return to his single seater in February.

"At the moment there is pressure and swelling whenever I stand up.

"There is talk it will be like that for the next two or three weeks and come the first week of February we should be on target for me to be able to walk unaided," he told the BBC.

 

Be part of something big